Saturday, December 26, 2009

Mission Accomplished...again

December 26th, 2009


The Beyond the Wall Campaign continues its mission to help the needy in Turbaco, Bolivar (Colombia). Originally, the project for this campaign called "Acting for the benefit of the needy" included donations from Colombia picked up by Teofilo Del Rio in Colombia and by myself (Fernando) from the United States, but things changed a bit. 

"Acting for the benefit of the needy" began in October of this year; actors from the University of Rafael Nuñez in Cartagena were supposed to perform a skit in Turbaco, and the price of entry for the public was a gift for a needy child in Turbaco.  The gifts that were donated were going to be distributed with the donations I picked up in Orlando, Florida during the week of this year's Christmas. Unfortunately, I was unable to travel to Colombia for the end of the year due to many inconveniences, and I postponed my trip to January 2010.  However, Teofilo Del Rio, in charge of the Beyond the Wall Campaign for this project in Colombia, decided to donate more than 80 brand new presents that he received in Colombia for the children of El Caminito and many other needy communities in Turbaco, Bolivar on Christmas Eve.  Many brand new toys that were donated by Colombian companies were handed out that day.  He literally went through needy communities in Turbaco and gave the gifts to the needy children.  In a family member's home, he also distributed the remaining presents to nearby needy neighbors.  To "Teo", as everybody calls him, I want to thank him for his great work in Colombia.

His work will not be forgotten by anybody; I am happy he is feeling what I felt when I did my first distribution in El Talon.  I also want to thank all the companies that donated the toys and of course my family, who have again proven to me their unconditional support.

What will happen with the donations in the United States?



As I mentioned, I could not travel to Colombia with the donations during the holidays due to many inconveniences.  The donations will now be distributed during the last week of January 2010, when I will be able to travel to Colombia.  The shipping of the donations will be in a couple of days!  I am currently packing the donations and preparing the trip for next month.  More details involving the preparation will be posted soon.  Even though I'm late, I will without a doubt still travel to Colombia.

No comments:

Post a Comment